Sanitizing classroom devices with Ozone for decontamination
Why Ozone for Disinfection?
The disinfection of classroom devices is crucial for maintaining the health and wellbeing of students and staff. Sharing tools such as Chromebook and other devices is an excellent learning method, but it introduces the risk of spreading germs.
That’s why EarthWalk provides ozone technology for safe, efficient disinfection of all classroom devices. This method is an effective solution as a laptop or tablet sterilizing system, allowing kids to share learning tools safely.
If the COVID-19 pandemic taught us anything, it was that germs on hard surfaces can be spread to others. EarthWalk has developed a new way to sterilize classroom devices quickly and efficiently, adapting products we already produce and using ozone as an effective way to decontaminate technology devices: CleanZone.
“I am so happy with the CleanZone Carts… We have students in the classroom and our COVID-19 cases are minimal. I believe the CleanZone carts sanitizing the devices daily has helped immensely.”
Jill J., Friendship Public Charter Schools
FDA, USDA, and EPA Approved
Ozone is a widely approved antimicrobial disinfectant that kills 99.9% of pathogens on surfaces.
Key Features of CleanZone's Ozone Disinfection
This cleaning method offers several unique features that make it an excellent option for the sanitizing of classroom devices:
- Easy: This straightforward process makes sanitizing classroom devices simple. Just make seal of your EarthWalk cart or station is secure before you start the cleaning cycle.
- Effective: Ozone kills viruses and bacteria more effectively–and 3,000 times faster–as compared to chlorine, with no poisonous residue.
- Efficient: Decontamination is quick: the ozone generator is activated and medical-grade sanitizing is done within minutes, resulting in clean oxygen once the full cycle is complete.
- Powerful: Ozone is a powerful weapon to combat germs and viruses, other flus and even the common cold, utilizing full coverage in an environment more efficiently and safely than with UV technology.
- Safe: No chemical residue remains, which means your students can safely handle their devices immediately after the cleaning ends.
The Advantages of Using Ozone Disinfection in Schools
Ozone is a quick, effective method of disinfecting classroom devices. This system eliminates harmful chemical exposure while providing a seamless laptop and tablet sterilizing system. You get clean, sanitized technology back in the hands of your students quickly.
This system can sterilize up to 40 devices at a time, and the process is more effective than alternative UV or chemical methods.
There are many added benefits of using this method to sanitize classroom devices:
- Save money: Spend less while using this one-time purchase product for a faster, more effective sanitizing solution, as compared to methods that require repeat purchases.
- Provide a safer environment: Allow kids to function with clean, sanitized educational tools so they can focus on learning with no worry of potential health hazards.
- Increase learning time: With ozone disinfection, you can spend more of your class time teaching and interacting with students rather than cleaning devices.
- Reduce exposure to chemicals: Ozone disinfection leaves no harmful chemical traces or residue behind, allowing students to safely handle your classroom technology right after the cleaning cycle ends.
The Science of Ozone
Ozone is a naturally occurring compound. It’s produced in the upper atmosphere (the ozone layer), and thunder storms also produce ozone via lightning strikes (i.e. the electrical excitation of oxygen molecules heating the air and splitting the bonds between the atoms).
Essentially, oxygen is the bond of two oxygen atoms (O2); electrical energy breaks the oxygen molecular bond, forming single atoms that collide together and result in the formulation of ozone (O3).
O3 is classified as an oxidizing and disinfecting agent and is an extremely effective germicide against viruses and bacteria. Oxidation occurs when ozone molecules encounter oxidizable substances, including microorganisms (viruses, molds, and bacteria). The unstable third single oxygen atom bonds to the material it contacts, destroying the virus particles. Virus particles, unlike many other microorganisms, are not able to repair oxidative damage, and are therefore more susceptible to oxidative antimicrobial action. Thus, O3 is used globally to sanitize and disinfect drinking water, in food manufacturing and processing, in healthcare facilities and labs as well as in other industries.
SARS-CoV-2 (responsible for COVID-19) is an enveloped virus, which means the structure of these viruses include a lipid envelope and are easily susceptible to destruction by disinfectants—including O3. Ozone readily oxidizes the lipid envelope, changing its structure or destroying it. Other virus families are also destroyed by direct damage via ozone to capsid proteins and nucleic acids.
Ozone, unlike UV technology (typically UVC), is a heavy gas that can penetrate every corner of the EarthWalk carts & stations—disinfecting all of the devices effectively. UV sterilization is really only effective when the light is able to directly reach surfaces.
The unstable O3 molecules (also known as tri-atomic oxygen) have a short lifespan. The gas decomposes and forms oxygen, leaving no harmful residue or odor after disinfection. Its use inside a contained space (such as EarthWalk carts and stations) is ideal and effective.
Ozone generators produce O3 with extreme high voltages. When the ozone generator is deployed inside the EarthWalk cart/station, make sure the sealed door is kept closed until the entire disinfection cycle is completed. As with other sterilization methods, strict standards are to be followed for safety reasons.
Dennis R., Cashion A., Emanuel S., Hubbard D. 2020, “Ozone Gas: Scientific Justification and Practical Guidelines for Improvised Disinfection Using Consumer-Grade Ozone Generators and Plastic Storage Boxes.” Journal of Science and Medicine, V2I1.35.
Sandle T., “Gaseous Sterilisation.” ScienceDirect (abstract from Sterility, Sterilisation and Sterility Assurance for Pharmaceuticals, 2013, chapter 8.4.) www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/ozone. Accessed May 2020.
“Ozone—A Natural Powerful and Green Disinfecting Agent.” Global Water Intelligence, www.globalwaterintel.com/sponsored-content/ozone-a-naturally-powerful-and-green-disinfecting-agent-evoqua. Accessed May 2020.
We Can Help Address Your Technology & Budget Needs
Contact an EarthWalk Solutions Specialist to see how!